I was listening to my friend Karl Bastian’s new podcast and it got me thinking about all the unusual and fun and weird things that I have experienced due to the simple fact that God called me to be a children’s pastor. So I came up with a list (I love lists!) of 21 things that I have done, experienced or observed because I am a children’s pastor.
1. I watch episodes of Phineas and Ferb
2. I toured the underground tunnels and the Magic Kingdom
3. I have been given the gift of a booger
4. I shed a tear ( I really did) when I heard Big Idea went bankrupt
5. I took a boat trip down the Zambezi River and came about 20 yards from huge bull elephant
6. Taught Zambian pastors the importance of Children’s ministry and some practical ideas on how to do children’s ministry
7. I found a way to teach God’s word using Legos
8. I have tasted chocolate through my nose
9. I climbed Mayan ruins in Central America
10. Slept on a dirt floor in a coffee village in Mexico
11. I have several alter egos and no one wants to commit me to an asylum
12. I know how to run a smoke machine, make slime, apply a fake wound and do the robot
13. I have purchased intelligent lights, chalkboard paint, a large snake puppet and extremely powerful magnets
14. I have worn tights
15. I have kissed a frog and my wife has kissed a frog and we have kissed each other!
16. All the caricature artists, clowns, balloon artists, carnival equipment dealers, jugglers and ice-cream trucks in town know me on a first name basis
17. I know a good price on plastic molded chairs
18. I own several wigs
19. I love Steve Spangler
20. I got paid to see Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
21. I have digital images of myself as a super hero, a Lego mini-figurine and an M & M
Check out Pastor Karl’s podcasts for more inspiration!